Comments

Sunday, May 26, 2013

1.3.4 HDD Selection

Posted by at Sunday, May 26, 2013 Read our previous post

Hard disk drive is a common component in both DIY NAS and off shelve NAS. Typically, the price of off shelve NAS do not include HDDs. For a clear comparison, I will not include the cost of HDDs in my NAS build.


The Three Musketeers
I planned to start with 3x 2TB HDDs and scale to 6 in total. If the NAS enclosure also offers hot swappable features, upgrading or replacing HDDs will be a walk in the park. Master C suggested Western Digital RED HDDs while Ah Kim ambitiously recommended 4TB drives. On a tight shoestring budget, I prefer to start modestly and expand in future. Below are the three musketeers used in my setup:

 QTY  Manufactuer  Capacity  Model  Specs
 1  WD Green  2TB  WD20EARS-00S8B1  64MB Cache / 5400RPM
 1  Seagate Barracuda Green  2TB  ST2000DL003 9VT-166  64MB Cache / 5900RPM
 1  Samsung EcoGreen F4 (Barracuda Green)  2TB  ST2000DL004  32MB Cache / 5400RPM

The WD Green is recycled from my current desktop while I purchased the Seagate & Samsung drives from IT Garage sales. Both the Seagate & Samsung are fresh RMA drives, as good as new. I intently picked 3 HDDs of different makes; which one do you think will die first?

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Build Your Own NAS (BYON) is powered by Blogger - Best view with Firefox / Chrome on a desktop